Assignment 3 - Mini Acousmatic
• Record a variety of sounds using the Sony portable recorders (click here for tips on how to use them). Microphones can reveal lots of unexpected sounds, so try as many sources as possible and see what happens. If it doesn't sound good, it's fine, you can just delete it!
• You cannot use sounds from Assignment #2, but you can use sounds from Assignment #3 in your final project. In other words, Assignment #3 can serve as a sketch, or section, of your final project. Of course, if you wish, you can also use entirely new sounds for your final project.
• Bring all your recordings into Logic and edit them to remove all the unnecessary or bad sounding parts.
• Compose a 60sec miniature composition using ONLY clips from the sounds you recorded with the Sony recorder.
• Your piece MUST use four channels (i.e., front and back speakers). You must actually have four channels coming out of Logic; you cannot diffuse a stereo file into four channels at the mixer (although you will be able to do this for your final projects).
• All your sounds clips should be no longer than 5 sec long.
• You can use reversing, but NO time stretching, and NO pitch shifting
• You can only use all available plug-ins in Logic. Explore! That said, there are many plug-ins and it's easy to get overwhelmed by the choice, so I recommend you start by using only the plug-ins we've seen in class: Channel EQ, Platinum Verb, DX Reverb Light (must de downloaded here), Space Designer, Delay Designer, Chorus, Flanger, Ring Shifter, Compressor, Limiter, and Noise Gate. You can start with a preset, but it MUST be modified.
• You MUST use automation for panning, volume, and EQ, to create a sense of space and motion (left-right, near to far)
You do not need to send me a bounced version, but be prepared to show your Logic project and talk about your work in class. Be also prepared to play some of the sound files you recorded.
Your mini-acousmatic composition, worth 10% of your final grade, will be evaluated as follows:
Use of automation /20
Use of plug-ins /20
use of EQ /20
Recording quality /20
Overall quality of edits and composition /20
As mentioned in the first class and on the syllabus, work submitted late will be penalized 50%.